Happy January, Portland. If you’re anything like us, you’re looking forward to days growing longer, taking time to reset, and focusing on New Year’s resolutions — and with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in the City of Roses. Note: COVID-19 protocols are changing rapidly to curb the spread of the Omicron variant in Portland. Please make sure to check event listing pages + venue websites for the most up-to-date information.
All month long
- Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express | Fri., Jan. 7-Sun., Feb. 13 | Times vary | 368 S State St., Lake Oswego, OR | $25+ | The local production is sure to go off the rails as the cast members dive deeper into this Far East enigma. 🚂
- PSU Farmers Market | Sat., Jan. 8-Sat., Jan. 29 | 9 a.m.-2 p.m. | South Park Blocks at Southwest Park Avenue + Southwest Montgomery Street | Free | Find fresh, local food + handcrafted items year-round, rain or shine. 🧑🌾
- Queen Nefertari’s Egypt | Sat., Jan. 2-Sun., Jan. 16 | Times vary | Portland Art Museum | Free for members + children, $22+ non-members | Explore the wonders of ancient Egypt + get to know the favored wife of Pharaoh Ramesses II.
- Beyond Van Gogh | Sat., Jan. 1-Sun., Jan. 9, 2022 | Times vary | Oregon Convention Center | $25+ | Immerse yourself in the brushstrokes of the master painter and find your own inspiration during the Thursday + Saturday yoga classes offered in the exhibit. 🎨
- Mandela: The Official Exhibition | Jan.-Sun., Feb. 13 | 9:30 a.m.-5:45 p.m. | OMSI | $10.50+ | Learn about the iconic freedom fighter + political leader’s life and why his mission is still just as important today.
- The Great Leap | Sat., Jan. 15-Sun., Feb. 13 | Times vary | Portland Center Stage at The Armory | $21+ | This theatrical production explores street basketball + cultural revolution in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show | Saturdays | 11:30 p.m. | Clinton Street Theater | 2522 SE Clinton St. | $12 | The cult classic film has been shown here every Saturday since April 1983; talk about a time warp.
- Open Jam | Mondays, Tuesdays + Sundays | Times vary | The Big Legrowlski, 812 NW Couch St. | Free | The mic is yours, Portland; local performers are encouraged to step up and put on a show. 🎤
- Story & Art Mondays | Mondays | 10-10:45 a.m. | Awake Coffee & Art, 7325 SE Milwaukie Ave. | $5 | Bring the kids for a fun morning filled with storytime + rotating creative projects.
- The Real Comedy Spot | Thursdays | 5 p.m. | Kelly’s Olympian, 426 SW Washington St. | Free | Hear from Portland’s jokesters at this weekly open mic comedy show.
- Distillery Tour & Tasting | Fridays + Sundays | 3 p.m. | Freeland Spirits, 2671 NW Vaughn St. | $30+ | Discover this unique gin and whiskey experience as you learn the story behind Freeland and their process. 🥃
- Hillsdale Farmers Market | Sundays | 9 a.m.-1 p.m. | 1405 S. Vermont St. | Free | 50+ local farmers and food artisans from Oregon and Southwest Washington.
- Private Lives: Home and Family in the Art of the Nabis, Paris, 1889-1900 | Sat., Jan. 1-Sun., Jan. 23 | Times vary | Portland Art Museum | Free for members + children, $22+ non-members | This exhibit displays the works of four artists inspired by symbolism in literature + theater.
- APEX: Sharita Towne & A Black Art Ecology of Portland | Sat., Jan. 1-Sun., July 3 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Portland Art Museum | This exhibition highlights an initiative to bring together community organizations in support of creating, reclaiming + redefining spaces for Black art and audiences in Portland.
Sat., Jan. 1-Sun., Jan. 2
Saturday, Jan. 1
- Helium Presents: Jon Dore | Sat., Jan. 1 + Sun., Jan. 2 | Times vary | Helium Comedy Club | $25 | This Ottawa-born comedian, host + actor is ready to start the year on a humorous note.
- Gorges Polar Bear Plunge 2022 | Sat., Jan. 1 | 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. | Gorges Beer Co., 390 Wa Na Pa St., Cascade Locks | $70 | Hot toddies, a quick, cool dip + brunch and beers, where 20% of proceeds go to Trailkeepers of Oregon. 🧊
- Saturday Run & Walk | Sat., Jan. 1 | 9 a.m. | Vera Katz Statue, Eastbank Esplanade at the end of Main St. | Free | Get your blood pumping with the Portland Frontrunners, a running club for LGBTQ+ individuals and their friends. 🏃
- O-Shogatsu, New Year’s at the Garden | Sat., Jan. 1 | All day | Portland Japanese Garden | Members only | Find your zen on a visit to the garden, where there will be hot tea, free tours + authentic decorations.
- University of Portland Pilots Men’s Basketball vs. BYU Cougars | Sat., Jan. 1 | 7 p.m. | Chiles Center | $15+ 🏀
- ZooLights | Sat., Jan.1-Sun., Jan. 9 | Various Times | Oregon Zoo | $16+ | Enjoy the incredible display of holiday lights through both walking and drive-thru experiences
- Comedy: The Musical | Sat., Jan. 1 | 8-9:30 p.m. | CRUZROOM, 2314 NE Alberta St. | $5 | Laugh along to hip-hop-themed stand-up comedy and musical improv.
Sunday, Jan. 2
- Wisdom of Yoga Workshop with Holiday Johnson | Sun., Jan. 2 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m. | Wild Hearts Wellness, 4230 NE Fremont St., Portland, OR | $40+ | Cultivate strength, flexibility, stamina + balance as you move through the poses. 🧘
- BBQ is Back | Sun., Jan. 2 | 3-7 p.m. | Eagle Portland, 835 N Lombard St. | $5+ | Enjoy free bacon cheeseburgers + hot dogs with a drink purchase at this gay bar.
- Mt. Hood & Trillium Lake Views | Sun., Jan. 2 | 2-4:30 p.m. | Bottle & Bottega, 1406 SW Broadway | $37+ | Recreate the iconic landscape with Painting With a Twist’s painting party.
- Sugar Fix: Macarons January | Sun., Jan. 2 | 1-3 p.m. | Cookshop, 2627 SE Clinton St. | $75 | Join pastry chef + owner Meredith Mortensen to learn the art of macaron making.
Mon., Jan. 3-Sun., Jan. 9
Monday, Jan. 3
- Trail Blazers vs. Atlanta Hawks | Mon., Jan. 3 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $20+ | Exciting young talent Trae Young stops by for a showdown in Rip City. 🏀
- Monday Confidential Recovery Support Group | Mon., Jan. 3 | 5:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | The Oregon Attorney Assistance Program offers meetings to Oregon lawyers, judges + law students dealing with addiction.
- CPR/BLS for Healthcare Providers | Mon., Jan. 3 | 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. | Cascade Training Center, 5331 S Macadam Ave. Ste. 307 | $99 | Earn your certification + sharpen these important lifesaving skills.
- The Moth StorySLAM | Mon., Jan. 3 | 8:00 p.m. | TOC Concert Hall, 1422 SW 11th Ave. | $15 | An open-mic storytelling experience where up to eight people will share true, personal stories about aiming high. 🎤
Tuesday, Jan. 4
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live | Tues., Jan. 4 | 7 p.m. | Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall | $35+ | Take in the film “Making Contact” with a live cast of comedic characters on the Time Bubble Tour.
- The Band’s Visit | Tues., Jan. 4-Sun., Jan. 9 | Times vary | Keller Auditorium | Prices vary | This Tony Award-winning musical follows a band of musicians that arrive lost at a desert town off the beaten path. 🎭
- Freedom of Speech: Eliza Jane Schneider | Tues., Jan. 4 | 7:30-10:30 p.m. | Mississippi Pizza Pub, 3552 N Mississippi Ave. | $20+ | Experience the one-woman, multimedia play from this voice over artist + actress.
- Special Event: Ben Brainard | Tues., Jan. 4 | 8 p.m. | Helium Comedy Club | $22.50+ | The Daytona Beach comedian known for his sketches brings his jokes + naturally-funny demeanor to Portland.
Wednesday, Jan. 5
- Trail Blazers vs. Miami Heat | Wed., Jan. 5 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $20+ | The team from more temperate climes turns up the temperature on Coach Chauncey Billups’ crew. 🏀
- Portland Spelling Bee | Wed., Jan. 5 | 6 p.m. | Mississippi Pizza Pub, 3552 N Mississippi Ave. | $5 | Are you un-bee-lievably good at spelling? Arrive 30 minutes early to sign up, then test your skills if your name is drawn. 🐝
- Drag Bingo | Wed., Jan. 5 | 7-9 p.m. | Moon Room, 930 SE Oak St. | Free | Don your best space outfit to enjoy free giveaways + a special menu. 🌛
Thursday, Jan. 6
- Back to Basics – Knife Skills | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 6-9 p.m. | Middleground Farms, 4651 SW Homesteader Rd., Wilsonville, OR | $95 | Get reacquainted with the chef’s most important tool + whip up some delicious dishes.
- The Mistons | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 8 p.m. | Holocene, 1001 SE Morrison St | $11 | Stop by for the vinyl release party for this not-quite-psychedelic rock band hailing from Portland.
- University of Portland Pilots Women’s Basketball vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 7 p.m. | Chiles Center | $5+ 🏀
- The Thesis | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 9 p.m. | Kelly’s Olympian, 426 SW Washington St. | $15+ | Catch this hip hop showcase hosted by Verbz.
Friday, Jan. 7
- Trail Blazers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers | Fri., Jan. 7 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $19+ | Hometown-hero Kevin Love returns to the PNW on the wrong side of Damian Lillard. 🏀
- Leave the Light On: An Improvised Play | Fri., Jan. 7-Sat., Jan. 22 | 7:30 p.m. | The Shoebox Theater, 2110 SE 10th Ave. | $16 | Each Friday + Saturday, the cast will improvise a new story around the theme of coming home after a long time spent away.
- Audubon Birding Day | Fri., Jan. 7 | 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Meeting location will be emailed upon registering | $65+ | Discover the diverse bird species of the Columbia County Bottomlands with leader Brodie Cass Talbott.
- Super Diamond | Fri., Jan. 7 | 9 p.m. | Crystal Ballroom, 1332 W Burnside St. | $25+ | You won’t know the difference with this Neil Diamond tribute band.
Saturday, Jan. 8
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s Birthday | Sat., Jan. 8 | All day | McMenamins Kennedy School | Free+ | Elves, orcs, hobbits + other residents of Middle Earth are invited to celebrate the iconic author’s legacy with food, drinks, and live music. Or buy tickets for screenings of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. 🧙♂️
- Debussy & Shostakovich | Sat., Jan. 8-Mon., Jan. 10 | Times vary | Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall | $25+ | Shostakovich’s First Violin Concerto, composed during the post-war years in Soviet Russia, is a roller coaster ride of emotions with a powerful finale. 🎻
- Tango Alpha Tango | Sat., Jan. 8 | 8 p.m. | Mississippi Studios, 3939 N Mississippi Ave. | $16+ | This husband-and-wife-duo take the stage as part of Portland Music Month, where one dollar of every ticket goes toward a fund for local musicians.
- Steve-O: The Bucket List Tour | Sat., Jan. 8 | 10 p.m. | Revolution Hall | $40+ | Just when we thought the “Jackass” star couldn’t up the ante on crazy stunts, he went + tried out a bunch of new ones, then made the experience into a multimedia comedy show.
- Greenway Trail Bird Walk | Sat., Jan. 8 | 8-11:30 a.m. | 13899 NW 36th Ave., Vancouver, WA | Free | Register in advance to learn about local birds + their habitat.
- Snack Takeover | Sat., Jan. 8 + Sat., Jan. 22 | 2-8 p.m. | Grains of Wrath PDX, 3901 N Williams Ave., Suite A | Free | Support local business BOILED PDXNUTS + sample the salty wares at this and other pop ups. 🥜
- Glow Skate | Sat., Jan. 8 | 7-10:30 p.m. | Oaks Amusement Park | $10 | Skate beneath groovy disco + black lights; one free glow stick included with paid admission.
- Brett Dennen: See The World Tour | Sun., Jan. 8 | 8 p.m. | Aladdin Theater | $28.50+ Storytelling and a healthy dose of wanderlust paint the lyrics of this American folk musician.
- Montavilla Farmers Market | Sun., Jan. 9 | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | 7700 SE Stark St. | Free | The closest bus stop for this neighborhood market is SE 76th + Washington.
Sunday, Jan. 9
- Trail Blazers vs. Sacramento Kings | Sun., Jan. 9 | 6 p.m. | Moda Center | $19+ | A familiar West Coast foe heads north for a date with CJ McCollum and company. 🏀
- Lynx DeMuth / AC Sapphire / Sarah Clarke | Sun., Jan. 9 | 8 p.m. | Mississippi Studios, 3939 N Mississippi Ave. | $13 | This night will feature three Portland-based female musicians who each have their own distinct style.
- University of Portland Pilots Men’s Basketball vs. Santa Clara Broncos | Sat., Jan. 9 | 5 p.m. | Chiles Center | $6+ | 🏀
Mon., Jan. 10-Sun., Jan. 16
Monday, Jan. 10
- Berdell Moffett-Chaney “Dynamic and Daring Colors” | Mon., Jan. 10 | 11 a.m.-1 p.m. | Virtual | $50+ | This six-week course from the Portland Fine Arts Guild, repeating each following Monday, will teach the fundamentals of watercolor painting. 🎨
- Bingo & Bourbon | Mon., Jan. 10 | 7-10:30 p.m. | $5 | Mississippi Pizza Pub, 3552 N Mississippi Ave. | Weekly bingo is just better with a little booze. 🥃
- Machine Owner Class: Meet Your Machine | Mon., Jan. 10 | 2:30-4:30 p.m. | 422 NE Alberta St. | $60 | Sewist can get familiar with their new bernette sewing machine at this class. 🪡
- Pacifica Quartet | Mon., Jan. 10 + Tues., Jan. 11 | 7:30-9:30 p.m. | Lincoln Performance Hall, 1620 SW Park Ave. | $32+ | Friends of Chamber Music presents the energetic and exuberant Grammy award-winning group.
- Portland Trail Blazers vs. Brooklyn Nets | Mon., Jan. 10 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $29+ | Damian Lillard and co. finally face off against Kevin Durant + Kyrie Irving in a game that was previously postponed. 🏀
Tuesday, Jan. 11
- Business Strategies Conference: A 2022 Guide to Planning for Success | Tues., Jan. 11 | 8:30-11:30 a.m. | The Sentinel Hotel, 614 SW 11th Ave. | $55+ | Preparation is key to starting 2022 off on the right foot.
- Tommy Emmanuel, CGP | Tues., Jan. 11 + Wed., Jan. 12 | 8 p.m. | $45 | This “certified guitar player” from Australia is often considered one of the best acoustic guitarists of all time.
- Introduction to Wine Series | Tues., Jan. 11-Tues., Jan. 25 | 6:30 p.m.-8 p.m. | The Wine & Spirit Archive, 3319 SE 50th Ave. | $185 | Three Tuesday classes will teach you the fundamentals of wine + expand your vocabulary. 🍷
- Consider This with Author Omar El Akkad | Tues., Jan. 11 | 7 p.m. | Alberta Rose Theatre, 3000 NE Alberta St. | $15+ | The author of “American War” and “What Strange Paradise” features in this onstage conversation.
Wednesday, Jan. 12
- Winterhawks vs. Kamloops Blazers | Wed., Jan. 12 | 7 p.m. | Veterans Memorial Coliseum | $15+ | Don’t be fooled — these Blazers aren’t from around here. 🏒
- Portland Boat Show | Wed., Jan. 12-Sun., Jan. 16 | Times vary | Portland Expo Center | $15 | If you’re happiest on the water, float on over to this trade show. ⛵
- Portland Old Time Music Gathering | Wed., Jan. 12-Sun., Jan. 16 | Times vary | Locations vary | This grassroots volunteer-run festival keeps traditional old-time Appalachian-style string band music going.
- The Unlikely Candidates | Wed., Jan. 12 | 9 p.m. | Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E Burnside St. | $16 | Childhood pals Kyle Morris + Cole Male formed this indie rock band in Fort Worth.
- Bars Over Bars Hip Hop Showcase | Wed., Jan. 12 | 7-11 p.m. | The Big Legrowlski, 812 NW Couch St. | Free | Stop by and show support for up-and-coming hip hop artists.
- Women’s WINEdown Wednesday | Wed., Jan. 12 | 7 p.m.-10 p.m. | The Suite Spot PDX, 24-32 NW 2nd Ave. | $20+ | Join this midweek gathering centered around food, drinks, self care, conversation + good vibes.
Thursday, Jan. 13
- Taylor Tomlinson: Deal With It Tour | Thurs., Jan. 13 + Fri., Jan. 14 | 7 p.m. | Revolution Hall | $30+ | Get ready for a night of laughter with the co-host of “The Self-Helpless” podcast.
- Lomelda | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 9 p.m. | Mississippi Studios, 3939 N Mississippi Ave. | $15+ | The musician from Silsbee, TX, takes listeners on a journey through her fifth studio album titled Hanna.
- University of Portland Pilots Women’s Basketball vs. San Francisco Dons | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 7 p.m. | Chiles Center | $4+ 🏀
- Say Yes: A Liturgy of Not Giving up on Yourself | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 7:30 p.m. | The Old Church Concert Hall, 1422 SW 11th Ave. | $20+ | Artist Scott Erickson leads a multi-sensory experience using story-teaching, participation, humor + images.
Friday, Jan. 14
- Portland Build, Remodel & Landscape Show | Fri., Jan. 14-Sun., Jan. 16 | Times vary | Oregon Convention Center | $6, children are free | Homeowners can connect with artisans + attend home improvement seminars and demonstrations. 🔨
- FEAST – Nicole Duennebier | Fri., Jan. 14 | 4-7 p.m. | Nucleus Portland, 1524 NE Alberta St. | Free | This gallery opening kicks off a solo exhibition that explores the natural phenomena of decay through detailed paintings.
- Dance Yourself Clean – An Indie Dance Party | Fri., Jan. 14 | 9 p.m. | Holocene, 1001 SE Morrison St. | $5+ | Move your body to Empire of the Sun, Tame Impala, Arcade Fire + more indie electronic tunes all night long.
- Bert Kreischer | Fri., Jan. 14 | 7 p.m. | Keller Auditorium, 222 SW Clay St. | $39.75+ | The acclaimed comedian brings his cringeworthy-yet-insightful comedy to town on The Berty Boy Relapse Tour.
- Best Coast | Fri., Jan. 14 | 9 p.m. | Wonder Ballroom, 128 NE Russell St. | $22 | The rock duo from Los Angeles performs with special guest Rosie Tucker.
Saturday, Jan. 15
- Wassail Cider Fest | Sat., Jan. 15 | 2-8 p.m. | McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse, 4045 NE Cornelius Pass Rd., Hillsboro | $45+ | An homage to the old English salute to good health now means a special menu, live music + a parade to toast the apple trees.
- Wine & Popcorn Pairings | Sat., Jan. 15 + Sun., Jan 16 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Beacon Hill Winery, 22070 NE Ridge Rd., Gaston, OR | $15+ | Sample locally-made, artisanal popcorn along with a glass of vino. 🍷
- Winterhawks vs. Tri-City Americans | Sat., Jan. 15 | 6 p.m. | Veterans Memorial Coliseum | $15+ | Bundle up for a night of hometown hockey. 🏒
- Portland Metro Reptile Expo | Sat., Jan. 15 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Columbia Conference Center | $10 adults, $5 kids 6-12, free for kids 5 and under | Vendors, reptile rescues, venomous reptile + educational displays, and giveaways await reptile enthusiasts. 🦎
- BowieVision | Sat., Jan. 15 | 9 p.m. | Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E Burnside St. | $20 | Celebrate Ziggy Stardust’s birthday with an epic tribute performance + The Police cover band S.O.S.
- South Waterfront Cleanup | Sat., Jan. 15 | 9:45 a.m.-12 p.m. | 3715 SW River Pkwy. | Free | Pick up litter + get the blood pumping with this volunteer opportunity.
- PBR: Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tour | Sat., Jan. 15 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $15+ | Grab the night by the horns + watch some of the best bull riders in the world. 🐂
- University of Portland Pilots Women’s Basketball vs. Pacific Tigers | Sat., Jan. 15 | 2 p.m. | Chiles Center | $4+ 🏀
- Onesie Bar Crawl | Sat., Jan. 15 | 4 p.m.-12 a.m. | Various Locations | $15+ | Enjoy hopping bar to bar with friends in the most comfortable and hilarious attire.
Sunday, Jan. 16
- Drag Me to Stag Brunch | Sun., Jan. 16 | 12-2 p.m. | Stag PDX, 317 NW Broadway | $25 | All-you-can-eat brunch buffet, mimosas + drag performances by Valerie DeVille, Lenda Bully Jo, Autumn Rainz Hart, and others.
- Powell Butte Nature Park Bird Walk | Sun., Jan. 16 | 8-11:30 a.m. | 16160 SE Powell Blvd. | Free | Register in advance to explore the birds + natural habitats around Portland’s extinct volcano.
- Sunday Trail Series | Sun., Jan. 16 | 10 a.m. | Birch Trail | Free | Join Portland Frontrunners’ weekly run through Forest Park.
- Houseplant Swap | Sun., Jan. 16 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Cornell Farms, 8212 SW Barnes Rd. | Free | Bring your healthy indoor plants + cuttings to the covered pavilion behind the cafe.
Mon., Jan. 17-Sun., Jan. 23
Monday, Jan. 17
- Lawyer Ride | Mon., Jan. 17 | 12-2 p.m. | SW corner of Pioneer Courthouse Square | Free | For 30 years, lawyers Jim Coon + Ray Thomas have invited fellow attorneys on their weekly bike rides around town. 🚴
- Joan Osborne & The Weepies | Mon., Jan. 17 | 8 p.m. | 1300 SE Stark St. | $39.50 + | Catch the multi-talented vocalist + The Weepies last ever tour.
- Loving | Mon., Jan. 17 | 9 p.m. | Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E Burnside St. | $15 | Listen to the dreamy-sounding group that started as a long-distance recording project.
- Silver Falls Volunteer Work Party | Mon., Jan. 17 | 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | North Rim Trail, Silver Falls State Park | Free | Help spread gravel on new trail surfaces for better traction.
Tuesday, Jan. 18
- Used Day Tuesdays | Tues., Jan. 18 | 2-5 p.m. | Community Cycling Center Retail Shop, 1700 NE Alberta St. | Free | Rummage through used bicycle parts to get you pedaling again.
- Honor Your Inner Child: Play With Craft & Style | Tues., Jan. 18-Thurs., Jan. 20 | 6-8 p.m. | Virtual | $145 | Beginner + intermediate writers are invited to reconnect with themes like curiosity, courage, and a youthful perspective.
Wednesday, Jan. 19
- Online Parent Support Group | Wed., Jan. 19 | 4-5:15 p.m. | Virtual | Free | This peer-led session is for parents + caregivers of children with mental health barriers.
- Dolly Parton Birthday Drag Show | Wed., Jan. 19 | 11 p.m. | Candy, 904 NW Couch St. | $10+ | Celebrate the Queen of Country with this iconic show from Club Kai Kai.
- Rock N’ Run Portland Wednesday Night | Wed., Jan. 19 | 6 p.m. | Planet Granite Portland, 1405 Northwest 14th Ave. | Free | This weekly club runs, rock climbs + gets beers afterward. 🧗
- Drag Bingo | Wed., Jan. 5 | 7-9 p.m. | Moon Room, 930 SE Oak St. | Free | Don your best space outfit to enjoy free giveaways + a special menu. 🌛
Thursday, Jan. 20
- Preschool Sensory Storytime | Thurs., Jan. 20 | 3:30-4 p.m. | Hollywood Library, 4040 NE Tillamook St. | Price or Free | Kids aged 3-6 + their caregivers can join this smaller, adaptive reading session designed to be more welcoming for children on the spectrum.
- An Evening with Cantrip | Thurs., Jan. 20 | 8 p.m. | The Old Church Concert Hall, 1422 SW 11th Ave. | $23+ | Prepare for a night of music rooted in Scotland, featuring bagpipes, fiddles, guitar + rich vocals.
- Audubon Birding Day | Thurs., Jan. 20 + Fri., Jan. 21 | 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Meeting location will be emailed upon registering | $65+ | You’ll have a deeper understanding of raptors after this Sauvie Island excursion.
- University of Portland Pilots Men’s Basketball vs. San Francisco Dons | Thurs., Jan. 20 | 7 p.m. | Chiles Center | $6+ 🏀
- Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe – A Diesel Insane: The Music of David Bowie | Thurs., Jan. 22 | 7 p.m. | Revolution Hall | $27 | The Rolling Stones vocalist Bernard Fowler joins saxophonist Karl Denson for a live performance.
- Geeks Who Drink Pub Quiz | Thurs., Jan. 20 | 7-9 p.m. | Ecliptic Brewing Moon Room, 930 SE Oak St. | Free | Gather your smartest friends for seven rounds of audio, visual + live-hosted trivia with prizes and gift cards.
Friday, Jan. 21
- STRFKR | Fri., Jan. 21 | 9 p.m. | Roseland Theater, 8 NW 6th Ave. | $30 | The Portland-founded indie rock band will share the stage with The Undercover Dream Lovers + Das Kope.
- The Silent Painting Party | Fri., Jan. 21 | 8-11 p.m. | PDX Suite Spot, 24 NW 2nd Ave. | $50 | Each guest will receive their own multi-channel headphones to select their own music while everyone paints the same subject.
- An Evening with Steinway Pianist George Ko | Fri., Jan. 21 | 8 p.m. | The Old Church Concert Hall, 1422 SW 11th Ave. | $25+ | As part of Portland Music Month, a portion of ticket sales will support creative grants + local musicians. 🎹
- The Fantasticks | Fri., Jan. 21-Sun., Feb. 13 | Times vary | Winningstad Theatre | $30+ | The world’s longest-running musical celebrates the simplicity + complexity of love. 🎭
- Portland’s Barrel Aged Beer Festival | Fri., Jan. 21-Sun., Jan. 23 | 11 a.m.-8 p.m. | Pine Street Market, 126 SW 2nd Ave. | $30 | It took a long time to make these brews, but it will be hard not to drink them quickly.
Saturday, Jan. 22
- Winterhawks vs. Seattle Thunderbirds | Sat., Jan. 22 | 6 p.m. | Veterans Memorial Coliseum | $15+ | The battle for the PNW heats up on the ice. 🏒
- Harlem Globetrotters: Spread Game Tour | Sat., Jan. 22 | 2 p.m. | Moda Center | $23+ | Dazzling dunks, ankle-breaking moves + a day of family fun on the hardwood.
- Seafood Social | Sat., Jan. 22 | Times vary | Rex Hill Winery, 30835 North Hwy 99W, Newberg, OR | $60 for club members, $75 general admission | Snack on fresh local seafood like oysters on the half shell + Dungeness crab cakes as you sip Rex Hill wines. 🦀
- Havana Nights Featuring the Mambo Kings | Sat., Jan. 22 + Sun., Jan. 23 | 7:30 p.m. + 2 p.m. | Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall | $25+ | Take in the spectacle of internationally-renowned dancers + tango classics, Afro-Cuban rhythms, and Spanish zarzuela melodies. 💃
- Sharp Tools, Clean Cuts | Sat., Jan. 22 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m. | Delta Park | Free | Learn how to hone your hand pruners and loppers so you’re prepared for tree pruning season. 🌳
- Planting Work Party | Sat., Jan. 22 | 9-11 a.m. | Springbrook Park, 2899 SW Diane Dr., Lake Oswego, OR | Free | Help get native conifer trees in the ground + remove invasive species. Bring your own gloves and shovel.
- Sauvie Island (Bald Eagles & Winter Waterfowl) | Sat., Jan. 22 | 8-11:30 a.m. | Gillihan Layover Tce. | Free | Register in advance to join naturalist Elaine Murphy on her search for migrating avian species. 🦅
- Anjelah Johnson “Technically Not Stalking” Tour | Sat., Jan. 22 | 7 p.m. | Newmark Theatre, 1111 SW Broadway | $45.75+ | The comedian + actress stops by for a one-night show that will have the crowd laughing the night away.
- Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway | Sat., Jan. 22 | 8 p.m. | Mississippi Studios, 3939 N Mississippi Ave. | $30+ | As the first woman in history to win International Bluegrass Music Association’s Guitar Player of the Year, she certainly puts on a show.
- University of Portland Pilots Women’s Basketball vs. Santa Clara Broncos | Sat., Jan. 22 | 2 p.m. | Chiles Center | $4+ 🏀
Sunday, Jan. 23
- Winterhawks vs. Spokane Chiefs | Sun., Jan. 23 | 5 p.m. | Veterans Memorial Coliseum | $15+ | Hard hits + hockey sticks. 🏒
- Montavilla Farmers Market | Sun., Jan. 23 | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | 7700 SE Stark St. | Free | The closest bus stop for this neighborhood market is SE 76th + Washington.
- Puff Pastry Workshop | Sun., Jan. 23 | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | Cookshop, 2627 SE Clinton St. | $75 | With pointers from pastry chef Meredith Mortensen, your will be layered, flakey + delicious.
Mon., Jan. 24-Sun., Jan. 30
Monday, Jan. 24
- Washed Out | Mon., Jan. 24 | 8:30 p.m. | Wonder Ballroom | $25 | Join Ernest Weatherly Greene Jr., the musician known for his chillwave style + creating the theme song from “Portlandia”.
- Open Labyrinth Walk | Mon., Jan. 24 | 4:30-7:30 p.m. | Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 147 NW 19th Ave. | Free | The public is invited to walk along the wood inlay labyrinth in the church’s Kempton Hall on the fourth Monday of every month.
- iDKHOW | Mon., Jan. 24 | 7 p.m. | Roseland Theater, 8 NW 6th Ave. | $27.50 | Experience the group that was once called “the hottest unsigned band in the world” on The Thought Reform Tour.
- Weekday Morning Meditation | Mon., Jan. 24 | 8-9 a.m. | Virtual | Free, donations encouraged | Put yourself in a peaceful mindset + enjoy contemplative conversation. 🧘
Tuesday, Jan. 25
- Trail Blazers vs. Minnesota Timberwolves | Tues., Jan. 25 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $14+ | The fans will be howling for this Northwest Division matchup. 🏀
- National Geographic Live: Secrets of the Whales | Tues., Jan. 25 | 7:30 p.m. | Newmark Theatre | $25+ | Photographer Brian Skerry shares behind-the-scenes stories + an inside look at the latest discoveries in whale cultures. 🐋
- L’Rain | Tues., Jan. 25 | 8 p.m. | Mississippi Studios, 3939 N Mississippi Ave. | $15 | Experimental musician Tasha Cheek takes listeners on a sonic exploration of change.
Wednesday, Jan. 26
- Trail Blazers vs. Dallas Mavericks | Wed., Jan. 26 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $20+ | Expect plenty of buzzer beaters when Luka Doncic takes the court. 🏀
- Sammy Rae & The Friends | Wed., Jan. 26 | 9 p.m. | Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E Burnside St. | $20+ | It’s eight times the fun with this eight-piece band, consisting of a rhythm + horn section, plus background singers and dancers.
- Good Old Fashioned Trade Show | Wed., Jan. 26 | 3-7 p.m. | Everett West, 914 NW Everett St. | Free | Peruse the wares + services of more than 30 vendors.
- Holy Gay Karaoke | Wed., Jan. 26 | 8 p.m.-12 a.m. | Eagle Portland, 835 N Lombard St. | Sing to your heart’s content.
Thursday, Jan. 27
- Kane Brown | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 7 p.m. | Moda Center | $37.50+ | The rising country star stops by on his Blessed & Free Tour with guest Chase Rice.
- Friends! The Musical Parody | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 7 p.m. | Revolution Hall | $38+ | This unauthorized comedic musical recreates favorite moments from all 10 seasons of the iconic ‘90s sitcom.
- Fertile Ground Festival | Thurs., Jan. 27-Sun., Feb. 6 | Virtual | Donations encouraged | The 13th annual event will feature vibrant “acts of creation” from Portland’s underrepresented artists.
- Punk Rock Karaoke | Thurs., Jan. 27 | The Bossanova Ballroom, 722 E Burnside St. | $13 | Sing your favorite anthems alongside a live band.
- Winter Raptors | Thurs., Jan. 27 + Fri., Jan. 28 | 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. | Meeting location will be emailed upon registering | $65+ | Use your hawk eye to find birds-of-prey across Polk County’s rich farmlands.
- University of Portland Pilots Men’s Basketball vs. Pacific Tigers | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 7 p.m. | Chiles Center | $6+ 🏀
- Bakersfield Mist | Thurs., Jan. 27-Sat., Feb. 12 | Times vary | Triangle Productions, 1785 NE Sandy Blvd. | $15+ | Take in the local theater troupe’s take on this comedic + dramatic play about a perplexing painting.
Friday, Jan. 28
- When the Sun Comes Out | Fri., Jan. 28 + Sun., Jan. 30 | 7:30 p.m. + 2 p.m. | The Hampton Opera Center, 211 SE Caruthers St. | $75 | Gender expression + state-run oppression are themes explored in this poignant 90-minute opera.
- Winterhawks vs. Prince George Cougars | Fri., Jan. 28 | 7 p.m. | Veterans Memorial Coliseum | $15+ | The real power play is tickets to the game. 🏒
- Curtis Harding | Fri., Jan. 28 | 9 p.m. | Wonder Ballroom, 128 NE Russell St. | $20 | Sway to the stirring sounds of one of America’s best soul musicians.
- Son Volt | Fri., Jan. 28 | 8 p.m. | Aladdin Theater, 3017 SE Milwaukie Ave. | $30 | See the band that songwriter Jay Farrar formed after Uncle Tupelo split up.
- Opacity of Performance: Takahiro Yamamoto | Fridays + Saturdays, Jan. 28-Feb. 12 | Portland Art Museum, 1219 SW Park Ave. | Times vary | $22+ | Appreciate the choreography of these thought-provoking dance solos.
Saturday, Jan. 29
- Jacob Banks | Sat., Jan. 29 | 8 p.m. | Roseland Theater, 8 NW 6th Ave. | $59 | Spend the evening being serenaded by this English singer songwriter’s smooth blend of R&B, soul + hip hop.
- Aminé: The Best Tour Ever Tour | Sat., Jan. 29 | 8 p.m. | Moda Center | $29.50 | The GOAT rapper to come from Portland will be joined by Cochise, AJ Tracey + 454.
- Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade | Sat., Jan. 29-Mon., Jan. 31 | Times vary | Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall | $25+ | The Oregon Symphony brings an enchanting Middle Eastern tale to life.
- Speed Date in Portland | Sat., Jan. 29 | 7-9 p.m. | District Portland, 220 SW Ankeny St. | $33.50+ | Singles, fancy a go at a fresh alternative to matchmaking?
- Deep Sea Diver | Sat., Jan. 29-Sun., Jan. 30 | 8 p.m. | Mississippi Studios, 3939 N Mississippi Ave. | $15+ | Like an exploratory mission of the ocean, this group’s music traverses superb highs + hypnotic lows.
- Wine & Culinary Experience | Sat., Jan. 29 | 12-2 p.m. | Elizabeth Chambers Cellar, 455 NE Irvine St., McMinnville | $120 | Indulge in a five-course meal paired with Domaine de Broglie wines.
- Yonder Mountain String Band | Sat., Jan. 29 | 8 p.m. | Revolution Hall, 1300 SE. Stark St. | $30 | A unique collaboration of musical influences brings a new generation of fans to bluegrass sounds.
Sunday, Jan. 30
- Bonsai Trees | Sun., Jan. 30 | 9 p.m. | Kelly’s Olympian, 426 SW Washington St. | $8+ | Fans of indie emo alt-rock, this is a band you have to hear.
- Winterhawks vs. Tri-City Americans | Sun., Jan. 30 | 5 p.m. | Veterans Memorial Coliseum | 15+ | Don’t skate by this high-octane action on the ice. 🏒
- Polo & Pan | Sun. Jan. 30 | 8:30 p.m. | Crystal Ballroom, 1332 W Burnside St. | $29.50+ | This French duo’s electronic music is influenced by tropical sounds + world music.
- Mad Poker | Sun., Jan. 30 | 2-5 p.m. | The Garages Satellite Pub, 4810 Western Avenue, Beaverton | Free | Flush or fold, this is a great opportunity for players of all skill levels. ♣️
Mon., Jan. 31
Monday, Jan. 31
- Comedy-The New Normal | Mon., Jan. 31 | 7-11 p.m. | The Garages Satellite Pub, 4810 Western Avenue, Beaverton, OR | $5 | An open mic night for local comedians to tickle your funny bone.
- Brian Fallon and the Howling Weather | Mon., Jan. 31 | 7:30 p.m. | Hawthorne Theatre, 1507 SE 39th Ave. | $30 | Listen to the singer known for leading The Gaslight Anthem alongside other performers.
- St. Olaf Orchestra | Mon., Jan. 31 | 7 p.m. | Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 147 Northwest 19th Ave. | $10, free for students | Catch conductor Steven Amundson one last time before he retires in the spring; he directed the ensemble for 40 years.