For reasons that weren’t fully disclosed, Multnomah County and other counties along the Columbia River did not spray for mosquitoes this year, or at least not to the typical extent.
The result? Portland is swarming with five times the normal number of the blood-sucking pests for this time of June — and the peak is usually in mid-July. In fact, we’re on course to smash 2022’s records.
Here’s what you can do to come out on top in the battle of the buzz, because after the winter we just endured, not going outside is just not an option.
- Stock up on bug spray and repellant candles from Murphy’s Naturals.
- Get free mosquitofish from the county for your ornamental pond.
- Regularly refresh your birdbaths and prevent standing water in gutters.
- Do your best Serena Williams impersonation with an electric fly swatter.
- Wear long sleeves and pants.
If you do get tagged by the foul critters, follow these treatment steps.