Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us car-zy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Portland spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- Natural Mart, 1726 SW Fourth Ave. | Stock up on granola bars for the road and local wine + beer for when you arrive.
- 21st Avenue Quick Stop Market, 602 NW 21st Ave. | This family-owned corner store is known for its kindness and having anything you’ll need.
- East Side Delicatessen, multiple locations | Grab a loaded sub for later; the Vegan BBQ or Spicy Italian are good options.
- Bonus: Grab a fun road trip game at Cloud Cap Games or some crafts to-go at The Craft Factory
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- “Down By The Water” by The Decemberists
- “You” by The Apricots
- “Caroline” by Aminé
- Bonus: Check out the PDXtoday Hit the Road playlist
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Everett Street Autoworks & Mechanics, 509 NW Everett St.
- Bradshaw’s Auto Repair, 1025 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
- On The Go Auto Services, 3436 N. Lombard St.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about Fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few:
- Play & Chase Dog Care, 7660 SW Barbur Blvd.
- Sniff Dog Hotel, 1828 NW Raleigh St.
- Pounce Play and Stay - Cat Hotel, 2808 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Suite J
What road trip destinations would you like to see covered in the rest of our series? Let us know.