Beneath all that flannel, you might be surprised to learn that a lot of Portlanders have... a lot of tattoos. Of course we’re just needling you — the City of Roses’ reputation as a well-inked town is widely known. Its many tattoo shops stay busy, but no more so than on Friday the 13th.
The historically unlucky day is rather fortuitous for people looking to add new art to their bodies. Whenever the calendar cooperates, many parlors offer flash tattoos — customers choose a design from a themed sheet, sometimes at a discounted rate. Traditionally, no modifications are allowed, and they tend to be on the smaller (and quicker) side.
We scoured the streets to find events happening tomorrow, Friday, Jan. 13.
- Anatomy Tattoo | 2820 NE Sandy Blvd. | 10 a.m.-7 p.m. | First come, first served
- Pink Panter Tattoo | 1001 E. Burnside St. | 11 a.m. waitlist starts, tattooing 12 p.m. to at least midnight | $130-$260 | Arms and legs only
- Rose and Dagger Tattoo | 6418 SE Foster Rd. | 12-8 p.m. | $100+ | Arms and legs only; first come, first served
- Powell Tattoos | 5117 SE Powell Blvd. #1 | 12-8 p.m. | $80+ | First come, first served
- Hidden Rose Tattoo | 526 NW 21st Ave. | 12-8 p.m. | Book in advance or walk in
- Gold Sparrow Tattoo | 3430 NE 41st Ave. | 12-6 p.m. | $130+ | Arms and legs only; first come, first served
- Lady Luck Tattoo | 611 SE Morrison St. | 1-10 p.m. | Arms and legs only; first come, first served
If you’re a first-timer, don’t forget — it’s always good form to tip your tattoo artist.