Samwise Gamgee, Lando Calrissian, and Dwight Schrute walk into a convention center… and proceed to squabble over who was the best sidekick.
That’s the kind of quirky character interaction we’re hoping for at Rose City Comic Con — Portland’s premier pop culture event — which returns to the Oregon Convention Center from Fri., Sept. 9-Sun., Sept. 11. The family-friendly celebration has something for everyone, whatever fandom you fancy.
Celebrity guests, like the aforementioned Sean Astin, Billy Dee Williams, and Rainn Wilson, will be available for photo ops and autographs, hundreds of creatives will display their work at Artist Alley, and there will certainly be cosplay.
🧠 Things to know
- RCCC is celebrating its 10th year, and a lot has changed since the beginning. In 2012, the event hosted 4,100 people. This year, 20,000 fans are expected to attend.
- Standard, three-day badges are $85, and there are also single-day passes ($45-$55).
- Using the mobile app will keep you up to date on information about guests, schedules, exhibitors, artists, panels, and family activities — especially since there won’t be a physical program to reference.
- The convention breaks experiences into different fan guides, which can help you narrow your focus to get the most out of your time.
- When it comes to accessibility, a limited number of wheelchairs and electric convenience vehicles are available to reserve. Anyone who needs a quiet space away from the hustle and bustle can find it in Room E147. Mamava Nursing Pods are located on Level 1 near the A and E meeting rooms.
⭐ Can’t miss events
- Medieval Dancing Lessons | 2-2:45 p.m. | Room D135-136 | By the end, you will be ready to wow any royal court.
- Dark Horse Comics Presents Drink & Draw | 8-10 p.m. | Spirit of 77, 500 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. | Get advance tickets for this chance to meet professional creators and flex those creative muscles based on humorous prompts from the host.
- DC/Marvel Superhero Dance Party & Trivia | 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. | Remix Stage, outside of Oregon Ballroom | Party people, assemble!
- Boldly Go with Levar Burton | 4:15 p.m. | Main Stage, Portland Ballroom | Trusty Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge had many adventures during his time aboard the USS Enterprise.
- Leaving the Shire with Elijah Wood & Sean Astin | 10:15-11 a.m. | Main Stage, Portland Ballroom | Hear from the hobbits themselves about their journey through Middle-earth.
- Cintiq Showdown: Finals | 3-4 p.m. | Wacom Stage | Draw your eyes to the culmination of the weekend’s high-energy sketch battle.
👾 Other attractions
- Catch a psycho thriller short, a puppet parody, and other fan films on the silver screen, hosted by GeekFest Film Fests.
- Add new pins to your collection and swap with others — keep an eye out for the adorable sasquatch, available by trading with participating RCCC staff members.
- Gaming — of the tabletop and video varieties — will be a big draw. Muster up some mana for Magic: The Gathering, join a Dungeons & Dragons quest, or lose yourself in the nostalgia of classic titles like Ms. Pacman, Street Fighter, and Tetris at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo.
- Rub elbows with literary royalty and snag a signed edition of your favorite novel at the book fair.